Thursday, March 28, 2013

Current projects

This is my last quarter here at SCAD, so it's kind of GO TIME and I'm definitely feeling it. In a positive way. At 430 today, my first "week" of classes will be finished and I feel as though I have already made a lot of progress.

Last quarter I was working on making "barn quilts", and I accomplished one and am still in the process of finishing another, which I have posted a pic of what it will look like below. Then, at the end of the quarter I came up with and idea that goes back to the seed of my embroidered leaves. I started those by embroidering a map. And I loved that idea but took it somewhere else with the leaves....then I moved onto quilting and I've had a lot of that so I thought I would go into exploring embroidery again. So I am back to exploring embroidering a map. But nothing straightforward. I would like to embroider repeat patterns on top of them. Use the map as the background. So I have done a couple samples of them that I've posted. To add to that, as I was walking back from class one day I realized that I don't always get to appreciate the hidden beauty of Savannah..... such as the iron railings....which I could ABSTRACT BEAUTIFUL PATTERNS FROM!!! It was a revelation. Before I was just thinking of doing geometric patterns to contrast with the very organic map background. But I will see where this ends up. Until then, enjoy my progress and see where I got some inspiration from. :)

1 comment: